The OAAP welcomes you to Lawyer Well-Being Week!! Watch our blog each day for new opportunities to take care, connect, be inspired, and inspire others.
Lawyer Well-Being Week was originally the brainchild of the ABA National Task Force on Lawyer Well-Being.
The Task Force was established a few years ago after the ABA Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs (CoLAP) and Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation performed a comprehensive survey of 9,000 U.S. lawyers to see how we are doing in the areas of mental health and substance use. The survey proved what most of us already knew or suspected: Our profession can be stressful, and our lawyers have significantly elevated levels of depression, anxiety, and substance misuse when compared with the general population. We also know that we have many effective ways to maintain and improve our resilience and well-being, allowing us to thrive in our rewarding, but often intense, world of lawyering.
The Task Force wrote a comprehensive report, supported by compelling data, and made numerous and valuable recommendations about how we can help ourselves and each other and, significantly, reduce the stigmatization that often prevents lawyers from seeking and receiving needed assistance and treatment. The ABA resources on wellness week pages are plentiful.
We are multifaceted, and we have many ways we can tend to ourselves and others. During this week, the OAAP invites you to participate in the following:
- Monday – Lawyer Well-Being Kickoff: Join OAAP attorney counselors for a webinar on Monday, May 4, from 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m., as they discuss dimensions of wellness and 25 evidence-based tips manage stress.
- Tuesday – Acts of Kindness: Tuesday’s blog post will encourage lawyers to perform acts of kindness that we will share on Friday, May 8. Please email email@example.com if you would like to share.
- Wednesday – Inspiration: We are inviting lawyers to share quotes or poems that inspire you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to share.
- Thursday – Social: Join us on Thursday, May 7, from 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m., for an informal discussion on helping lawyers create community connections. To register for this talk, email email@example.com.
- Friday – Sharing What We Have Learned: Return to our blog for lawyer well-being reflections and shared moments of kindness.
We hope this week will enhance your spirit and help you explore further. I know I am looking forward to it. Take care and be well.
Shari R. Pearlman, LCSW, JD